Champions St Peter scrape past St Brelade

St Peter v St Brelade Picture: DAVID FERGUSON

AN opportunity missed is how St Brelade may feel about their loss to defending champions St Peter.

Though they ended on the wrong side of a 2-1 scoreline, they could have so easily been on the right side. That final pass, an attempt at goal that could have been shot earlier, that unfortunate, but costly mistake by young goalkeeper Tom Bisson.

There was little between the two teams throughout the match. Clear chances were at a premium, but there were some good ones that neither side capitalised on. But St Brelade were on the ascendency after Kieran Lester had equalised following up on the rebound of his own penalty miss.

Then a hopeful punt forward from the St Peter defence sent Jack Hardisty on the chase. Bisson had a head start, but he took his eye off the ball, kicked fresh air and allowed Hardisty to roll it into the empty net.

This was midway through the second half and it turned out to be the winning goal. St Peter had taken the lead in the first half when a defensive mix-up allowed Harrison Moon in to score his 12th goal of the season, Lester being at the top with 15.

The game was pleasing on the eye with both teams keeping the ball well, though it did lack a bit of urgency in areas. That changed in the second half as St Brelade pushed their hosts back and when the referee saw a foul in the box, Lester stepped up to take it. Pierce Roche pulled off a magnificent save, but it fell kindly to Lester, who had the easiest of tasks to put it into the empty net.

The visitors kept probing and Daryl Wilson was presented with a fine chance that he helped make himself. He played a wonderful clipped ball over the top to Ed Jeffries who, in return, laid the ball square back to Wilson, but a slight hesitation allowed his shot to get blocked.

For St Peter, it is now four wins from four and they look good to retain the Premiership title, but St Brelade showed, with a bit more luck, they can be beaten.

Meanwhile, St Ouen are still looking for their first league win of the season after they were held to a 1-1 home draw by UUֱ Wanderers.

There was little to separate the two teams throughout the 90 minutes, but Elliott Hughes showed a quick turn of pace to get in behind the Wanderers defence and give St Ouen a first-half lead.

And that is how things remained until Wanderers were awarded a penalty for a foul deep into the second half. Max Corbett stepped up and fired in as good a penalty as you are likely to see anywhere, right into the top right-hand corner.

Premiership 2 leaders Sports Club suffered their first loss of the season at Rozel Rovers 3-2. Rozel were three-up at one stage before Sports Club fought back, but it was not enough for the away side to salvage a result.

Goals from Daniel Goncalves, Ricardo Carvalho, Daniel Figueira and Diogo Faria gave Dragoes only their second win of the season, beating First Tower United 4-2, who replied with a Calum Peacock brace.

In the Championship 1 division, Grouville Reserves followed their 3-1 defeat of UUֱ Wanderers in the JFA Bowl on Thursday night with a 2-0 win at home to St Peter Reserves, Kyle Gordinho and Stewart Daynes with the goals. Leaders St Ouen Reserves beat St Helyi 3-1, while St Clement Reserves eventually saw off a spirited Rozel Rovers Reserves 5-3, with a pair of braces from Matt Rawlings and Charlie Yates, and a Rhys Johansen strike.

There was one match in the O35 Division, which saw St Peter win 5-3 at St Lawrence.

Michael Raine, Bradley Russell, Andrew McGinnigie and Ian Crocker had put St Peter 4-0 up but then St Lawrence hit back through, Michael Donoghue, Jon Donald and Scott Sale, until McGinnigie scored another to prevent a comeback.

Wanderers on top

IT may only have been a dead rubber, but UUֱ Wanderers will appreciate the confidence boost from a 2-1 win over defending champions Rozel Rovers in the Women’s Zenith Cup.

First-half strikes from last season’s joint JEP Golden Boot winners Sam Silva and Hannah Lynam gave Wanderers a 2-0 lead. Natalia Jurek pulled one back for Rozel after half-time but Wanderers held on.

The win ensured Wanderers remained top at the end of the group stage, though both teams have qualified for the final, date and time to be confirmed.

– Advertisement –
– Advertisement –